Thursday, November 6, 2008

Editing the novel

After a long, hot summer of waiting, my editor delivered my edits to me, in the form of an 11 page treatise. It was a fantastically well thought out letter, and left me on my knees thanking God that she liked it well enough to buy it in the first place.
I spent a month or so adding 22,000 words, cutting characters, and reshaping it into a much better novel. This required a lot of babysitting, provided gratis by the grandparents; and my hubby, who took a week off work so I could work nonstop. Everything was in my head, waiting. The only thing stopping me was the fact my ass kept falling asleep.
Tis complete, and now I await my editor's comments. More waiting.

The local paper had an article about some delayed gratification project done in the 60s, called the Marshmallow Experiment. They took kids and put a marshmallow in front of them, saying, "You can either eat it now or wait 20 minutes and get two." Apparently there's a correlation between intelligence and waiting. I would have eaten it, fearing a trick.

This book is also a big lesson in delayed gratification and makes me crave chocolate and In and Out. Or maybe that's just PMS, which feels like it lasts 3.75 weeks these days. Time to move on to the next project.

No comments: