Monday, April 21, 2008

If a Toy Gets Given Away

If a toy is given away and no kid is around to see it, will they still care?

No. Not usually.

Not for six months, when they remember they own it and ask you where it is and you say, "I don't know, maybe you left it around and we got rid of it," and they storm away and are mad for ten minutes. After all, it's not like the time Cadillac's mom gave away all his good Star Wars figures to the kid up the street, and Cadillac was too proud to get them back. He's still mad about that.

Actually, we moved 6 months ago. We didn't move far, only about 5 miles. Somehow, a lot of stuff went missing. This includes a big Rubbermaid tub of toys.

1) a Kaiya American girl doll and her horse, bought by my dad for Kid 1, probably costing over $200. Kid 1 had originally wanted to get rid of it, I kept it, then somehow it got put into the giveaway pile. Now Kid 1 is bitter, just like her dad was about his Star Wars toys.
2) All our baking sheets.
3) My friend Jen's vast English and American literature collection, that she'd lent to me because I was studying to take the CSET to be an English teacher. She, being a lovely lovely person, wasn't too mad and refused any of my attempts to replace the books (mostly college textbooks), but I promised I'll buy her a really nice wedding gift to make it up.
4) My rollerblades, just because I hadn't used them in 2 years. I was going to! Really.

Mysteriously, all of Cadillac's old grungy Army stuff made it over here, along with head-scratchers like bags o' trash.

No comments: